Friday, October 9, 2009

sugar cookies

When I got married my mom gave me this book with all kinds of recipes. Some I don't remember eating growing up. Some are my favorites, like the cookies and Christmas candy. The pages that have the most spills shows that those recipes are the best. My mom had a more traditional recipe box with 3x5 cards. We could find the recipe we were looking for just by the color of the card, or if the corners had been torn off. Definitely family favorites.


SUGAR COOKIES
Cream 2 cups margarine, 2 cups sugar, and 3 eggs. Add 2 tsp. vanilla and 2 tsp. lemon extract. Then add 1 tsp. soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 6 cups flour. Mix well and chill 4-5 hours (sometimes I mix one day then bake the next). Roll to 1/4" thickness, cut and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

Pretty simple recipe. I think all sugar cookie recipes are great. The trick is to roll it out thick. If you have a cookie cutter that can also put a design on, then the dough should be soo thick that it squishes out when you cut the cookie. Also, DO NOT brown the cookie. No, you don't want a doughy cookie. But it should still be light in color. The first time I made sugar cookies after we got married, Brian sort of turned up his nose. He didn't like sugar cookies, not until he tried mine. Now almost every time I make them he will comment on how great they are. And how he never use to like sugar cookies.

I love baking for my family. I usually will make sugar cookies for holidays. Valentines, Easter, Halloween and Christmas are the most common. Then I will get a wild hair and make them out of the blue, just to shake things up a little. I hope you enjoy!!

3 comments:

Lana said...

thanks!

I have a good life said...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to make them in my new mixer! :)

Spudknit said...

I totally didn't get a book like that. I think I got one of her pans though. She might still be looking for it.