Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ground Zero

I believe this is the only event I haven't blogged about during our trip to NYC. We went to a Ground Zero Museum. The only photographer aloud was Gary Suson. He was there right along side the FDNY. His images were very touching. Everyone had a headset during the tour. We could punch in a number to hear the story that went along with the photo or item.

The cross and star of david were made out of the metal from the towers, then given to the family of the victim.

This was the time when the plane hit the tower.
This sphere was outside the towers. It had been placed at Battery Park with an eternal flame to remember the victims. They didn't make any repairs on it. This is how it looked when it was unburied. Inside the sphere was found papers from one of the towers, a bible, and human remains.

This is how the twin tower site looks today. A new tower is being constructed. The sphere will be returned back to these grounds with a memorial.
I was a little surprised at my emotions while I was listening to the stories. All of it was very touching. I am grateful that we went, but it was very depressing. I remember all the media coverage that went on for days. We finally had to turn off the TV so we could get a handle on life. I can't imagine living there at that time and not being a mess everyday! My heart broke again and again as I listened to the stories. It was a very touching museum. It was a good thing they had Kleenex's placed around the room.

3 comments:

Selita & Craig said...

That memorial takes me back to the very moment that I heard what was happening....I was on my way to work and they were talking about it on my radio show and it shakes me to this day.

I have a good life said...

Such emotion just looking at the pictures. It will be one of those few things that every one of us that were adults will remember the exact moment in time we heard the news. What a sad day in our country's history. Yet, how awesomely we all pulled together...races, religions, socioeconomic groups...all brought together in sorrow and a great desire to help.

Anne said...

That a very humbling experience- I think I'll have to make the hard trip one day. Thanks for posting your pictures- it does brake my heart every time I read about it again.