Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ellis Island

Ellis Island was the main entry for immigrants from 1892-1954. We had wanted to look up our ancestors while we were there. I checked with my parents and all of my ancestors came earlier than this. We knew there would be a good chance that Brian's Great Great(I think) Grandpa Shuldberg could of come through here. He checked with his Mom, but no he didn't. He had a sponsor so his Grandfather was able to go directly there, I think Montana is where he went.

Can you imagine, being on a ship for two or three weeks then arriving at a beautiful spacious building as this. I'm sure they felt is must of been built for royalty, at least that would of been the reason in the countries they came from.

This had to be very frightening to the immigrants. A large building, still crowded as the boat ride over. No one speaking your language. Police officers or officials asking questions and watching everything you did. If an official felt that someone had a mental problem then an "X" would be put on their coat and most likely sent back to their country. As frightening as this whole process was, it would be ten times worse if a family member had to be sent back. Most likely to never see again. What great courage these people had, to come to a new country. A free country.


1 comment:

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

I love how you just post different parts of your trip on different days. It is very exciting for those of us that are watching!! Some day I am going up to that part of the country. Your trip must have been awesome!!