Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ward Christmas Party

Yesterday was such a good day for me. At about 10 or so, McKinzie decided to take Peanut out for a walk. She put Adam in his stroller and I bundled up Carson. After they left I turned on some Christmas music and made pies for our Ward Christmas Party that night. That is one of my favorite things, listening to music and working around the house.


When they got back we ran a couple of errands and I finished up my Christmas shopping! I think being a grandma makes a difference. I have never been finished with Christmas shopping two weeks before Christmas. An even bigger shock is that most of my Christmas cards were addressed and ready to mail last night. One year I mailed them out on the 23th, pretty sad I know. It is such a rush having things taken care of early, and this is without the help of Black Friday shopping. It's got to be a grandma thing.


During the afternoon, while I was making my potatoes for the party, I was able to talk with family over the phone, another favorite thing to do. I talked with my Dad, my Mom is not doing very well. She had her spleen removed a month ago and she is having multiple complications. She is currently in ICU and improving every day, slowly. Over the past few years he has actually visited with me on the phone instead of passing the phone to my mom. It's been great. I visited with my oldest sister, it was her birthday yesterday. We had a great time laughing and complaining about 18 year olds (we both have one) and worrying about Mom and Dad. I love living in Texas, but there are times I ache to live closer to family. Especially my sisters and even a couple of my brothers would be nice. Then, I called one more sister that has been very involved with being there for my parents. My Mom loves Christmas everything about Christmas, especially music and these last few weeks I keep having the impression that she needs that in her hospital room. I felt bad with all that she is doing to ask her for more, but I did anyway. I asked her if she could get some music, a nativity scene or something Christmasy (is that even a word?) in her room. Right now she is sedated, but I know she will still enjoy the music. Her and Dad both need to feel Christmas. She said she would see what was allowed in ICU, and we both decided that the grand kids could make decorations for her room. There is so little we can do from Texas, but now we can help brighten up her hospital room and hopefully lift her spirit.


To end such a great day, we spent is with friends. Well, all of us but Brian. He stayed home in bed. He has been sick for two days, that's two days in bed. He hasn't been feeling well all week. Today he is feeling better. Yea!! That means we can still have our date tonight, we haven't had a regular date in weeks and weeks. We have attended many things together as a couple, just not a date. Yes, there is a difference. Trust me.

At the Christmas party it was a little different this year. Santa was first! If you wanted to see Santa then you arrived early before dinner. I think it was great! Only Carson sat on his lap. Luckily we already visited with the "Big Guy in Red" so I didn't require them all to get a picture.

This is Justin, he is Brian's first counselor. He is a nut! His plate was the pan a ham was cooked in. He kept eyeing Karlee's cookies, hoping to catch her off guard and snag one. He never did succeed.

This is my friend Teresa and her daughter Tiffany. They don't come out to church often, but I convinced them to come with me to the Christmas Party. I'm so glad they did. Many people that hadn't seen them in a while came over and visited with them. I hope they felt welcome.
I don't usually share my day, only the events. But yesterday was great! I love Christmas time. I love my family and friends! I truly hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

I have a good life said...

Sounds like a beautiful day! Sorry I didn't get to visit with you much.

Jay said...

What a terrific day! I'm so glad to see Teresa and Tiffany too! You are so good at taking care of people!

Selita & Craig said...

Im sorry your mom is not doing well. I hope she can still have a sense of Christmas and that your father can feel the spirit of Christmas as well.

I don't know if its a grandma thing :) Im not a grandma yet but I did it all early too - maybe I inspired you (in some small way) ;)

I love to be home, alone - music playing and cooking and baking stuff...its relaxing and a joy for me - so I understand that.

Please tell Mr.Brian that I hope he feels better soon!

Hope you and yours have a most wonderful and joyous holiday season! You guys are special friends to me :)