Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reunion Day 3

Gold Mine Tour

We were able to have a tour of a working mine. Gold and ore are the main minerals that are extracted. Everyone had to wear hard hats.



In these veins, mostly grey areas, you can see some sparkle. That is the gold!


He told us that in a ton of rock the average amount that is extracted is 3 ozs of gold and 40 ozs of ore.


The vein here has the most gold but they weren't in any hurry to extract it. The owner of this mine actually owned 189 mines. I guess there is more profit somewhere else.

This is suppose to be a "lucky bucket". The first time I passed without making a wish. Our tour guide told us that it has been known for fertility. So of course I passed by looking the other way.
Brian told me to stop and make a wish. So I did. The thing that came to my mind first was our health. Our family is very healthy and I am grateful for that every day. My parents on the other had are not doing so well. So I guess I wished for them. I worry about my Mom the most. I do so wish that their health would improve.

This vein here looks like it has turquoise in it, but it is actually copper.

After our tour these little creatures greeted us. We were able to watch their cheeks grow as the kids fed them seeds.

1 comment:

Lana said...

oh my gosh! look at those cute chipmunks, I can't believe you got to hand feed them!