Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fence...

What an emotional mess this has been for me. We talked to neighbors, they both agreed to help, but no definite amount of money was discussed. I got an estimate, talked to neighbors again. We didn't want to wait anymore. We scheduled a date to install. The neighbor behind us only wanted to pay his half of the repair, understandable. We wanted a new fence, most of ours was down if not damaged. Since we would be lucky to get $200 from him, I decided to turn the fence. Since we were paying the majority, I wanted the pickets facing us instead of the metal posts. Brian felt is was honest to be up front and tell our neighbor our plans. Boy, what a can of worms that opened up. Our neighbor insisted that is would be against our HOA covenants if both parties didn't agree to turning the fence. Now I was in a panic trying to locate the covenants. I couldn't find ours. Brian found them online and the page we needed, page 18, wasn't there. I called many neighbors and to no avail they couldn't locate theirs either. I had to make a decision by morning. I was a mess most of Thursday. I know the power HOA's can have; fines, liens on your house.... I didn't want any of that, who would?

Finally, I got hold of a neighbor the next morning that could answer most of my questions. There was nothing to stipulate the way a fence faces, except having pickets to the curb. Also, we have a POA, not a HOA. Not near the power, news to me. (I know this is long, guess how I felt in the middle of it?!) Friday morning I went to talk to our neighbor, nothing had changed. I still didn't know what I was going to tell the crew when they showed up. I didn't want a neighbor to hate me over a fence. I've never liked him very much, but I didn't want him to not like me. A few minutes after the crew got here, my neighbor came by and told me to go ahead and turn the fence. YEA!!! With us paying for most of it, maybe all who knows if I'll ever receive his money, and we plan on staying here, they think they will be moving in 2-5 years, he decided not to fight us on the fence. He also called the POA and found out that nothing would happen if I chose to turn it without his agreement. Anyway, we have a new fence that is beautiful!!! I love it!! I am soo glad he changed his mind, I still don't know what I would of told the crew. I love having the pickets facing us.

Yea!! I won!! OK, I got lucky and didn't have to make a tough decision.



This is our new path, new fence and new flower beds. The day lilies are looking great!
On a side note, last year Brian and I debated about putting in new stainless steel appliances in our newly remodeled kitchen. The dishwasher is really showing it's age. I told Brian if we do one, then all of them will need to be replaced. We decided to wait, so we put the money in savings. I am glad we didn't spend it. They say things come in threes. We have installed a new A/C, now a new fence, and our small garage door needs many new parts if not totally replaced. We didn't fix the door, just unplugged the opener so we don't use it and make it worse. Does that count as three even though we didn't invest money into it? I hope so. I'm counting that as three. Hopefully we are done for the year, or longer would good with me.


4 comments:

Spudknit said...

Congratulations on resolving the fence issue. We need to replace ours and I am sticking my head in the sand because I do not want to have to deal with my neighbors about it. By the way, it is beautiful fence!

Selita & Craig said...

Ohhh can I just have your pool....in this 100+ degree heat it looks so wonderful!

Anne said...

I love the fence, and agree it looks better picket side to you :)
I hope you are done with big unplanned purchases this year!!!

The Texas Bakers said...

Looks great! Glad you didn't have to have bad feelings with your neighbor.