Saturday, December 11, 2010

preparing for Christmas

Last Saturday we got the Christmas boxes out of the attic.  I was able to get most of the decorations up, the tree out of the box and the day ended.  Almost every day the kids have been asking when the lights were going up.  They were eager to help.  Usually Bailee helps put light on the house but last year Bailee wasn't around so Karlee was the lucky one.   She was anxious to be the helper agian.  Karlee helped Brian with the lights and they went up quicker than ever before.  Karlee left to a friends house then Brian realized that Karlee didn't plug the lights in to anything.  So...Mason got to get on the roof after all.  He was soo excited and nervous at the same time.   


 And of course Carson had to have a turn.  Brian and I have really changed as parents.  Years ago we never would of let one our kids get on the roof for "fun".  Now look at us.  We've become soft....and very tired. :)
I made a new candy this year, corn flake candy.  It's one I grew up eating every year but never thought about making.  I talked to one of my sisters this past week and mentioned it.  So later that same day she emailed me the recipe.  YUMMY!! Thanks Terri!


Corn Flake Candy

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 T butter
3 cups corn flakes
12 lg marshmallows halved 

Caramelize sugar till liquid.  Stir in milk, salt and butter.  Boil to soft ball stage.
Add corn flakes and marshmallows, stir well.
Drop onto wax paper.

2 comments:

Humphrey Family said...

We miss you guys so much! I love reading your blog, it helps me feel connected to our friends in Saginaw. Your family is so beautiful.

Spudknit said...

Hey! I made corn flake candy for the first time on Saturday too. :) Aarin and I went to dad's and made some fudge and caramels and the corn flake candy. I had not made any of it before and thought I should learn. Aarin is a great teacher.

BTW, I am not quite to the "get on the roof for fun" place but I do let the younger ones get away with so much more. I have loosened up too. *sigh* I guess Aarin and I were spoiled. :)