Monday, February 8, 2010

Mom

Today is my Moms birthday. This picture was taken last July at a family reunion. The most recent picture I have of her is in the ICU. I think one picture of her not herself is enough. :0)

She is doing much better. She is in a rehabilitation center doing physical therapy. She is not connected to a single tube! Her trach is healing well and she is walking more and more, with the use of a walker. She won't be able to go home until she can stand from a sitting position and walk a certain distance.
I'm so grateful that she is my mom. She, and my Dad, have raised 10 kids to be hard working, independent, educated adults. My Mom stayed home with her kids until I was a Jr or Sr in high school, I'm not for sure how old I was. But she still had summers off when we were out of school. She always cooked from scratch and her house was always spotless, even with kids everywhere. (She tells us now that it was important to her that her kids weren't embarrassed to bring friends over.) I remember her making meals for other families, putting on a dress in the middle of the week to go visiting teaching, and pressing her temple clothes as she was preparing to attend the temple. She was always a good example of doing what's right.
Growing up we rarely talked about our worries. The more I talk to my Mom now, the more I realize that we are alike. We have the same worries, habits and desires. Some not so good...others I'm glad to be just like her. She is an amazing woman. I love you Mom. I hope you have a great birthday even if your not spending it at home.

3 comments:

Lana said...

it's funny how we turn out like our moms. I guess that's why it's so important that we do a good job with our daughters, which, BTW, I think you do awesome!

Happy Birthday Alison's mom:)

Selita & Craig said...

A very happy birthday to your mom - you look very much like her (only a lot younger) hahaha - I am very happy to hear she is doing so much better!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday to your MOM and congrats to her for doing such a great job raising her kids.