Saturday, April 18, 2009

What have we done?

Our kids have always wanted a dog, like all kids. Our excuse was that our cat Ziggy would not tolerate a dog, He barely tolerates other cats. Well, he died in February. Shortly after that they started asking. Bailee has asked almost every day. This last month or so I have been checking out SPCA online and watching and pondering. Do we really want a dog? Do I really want to take care of a dog? Of course that last question was always, NO!

Today, as I was making my bed by myself, somehow every person in our house was in my room talking about a dog. So Brian and I said OK! Can you believe it? I still can't. Off we went to choose a dog. What a heart breaking experience. There were so many of them. Brian, who is not a dog lover, wanted to take them all home. It was tough to hear then barking and watching them get so excited to see us. They wanted out to play. We finally made a decision, a puppy! His name is Peanut. He is 3 months old with lots of energy, of course. We have had "luck" today with no accidents. I know it's luck because we don't know what we are doing. Any suggestions out there? We will take any and all "free" advice. We want this to be a positive experience. Help!!

Tonight he has become my buddy. He keeps following me around like I'm going somewhere exciting. He has even curled up in my lap. Fun, fun. I hope it stays that way.

4 comments:

Anne said...

WOW! A dog!! How fun. Good luck with the house training....but I bet the kids are super excited!

The Texas Bakers said...

Oh man, he is super cute! But it still doesn't make me want to get one!

I have a good life said...

You are a little crazy...but he is super cute! Good luck! :)

The Tall and Short of it said...

I can't believe it!! Good for you guys! We always had dogs growing up, I loved it! When we got Suki I really wanted her to have a "little home" to stay the night in. I am so happy I decided to do this! She stays in the kennel all night and when we are not home. She cried the first three nights then nothing. Others, have said that dogs actually like it, its like a den. I think Suki is pretty happy with her home!. Plus, when I can't take her following me around all we have to do is say Go home. She actually goes to her cage!!!!