Monday, February 2, 2009

Dear Ziggy . . .


Our cat, Ziggy, was born late November 1996. He died this morning at about 9:50. He has always been a large cat. These past few months I could tell he was losing weight. He also would think twice before he jumped up on anything too high. He was old and feeling his age. Friday I really started worrying about him. He was moving very slow and would lay around in places he has never rested before. Like he didn't have the energy too move any farther. Last night I held in my lap and when he got down he was struggling to walk. This morning was more of the same. Before school Karlee sat by him and pet him while she read her book. Brian was with him before he went to work. When he was taking his last few breaths McKinzie, Carson and I sat by his side petting him as we cried.

There were times he really drove us crazy. He was bulimic, no kidding. I have cleaned up more vomit from him than all of my kids put together. If he slipped out the door at night, when he wanted in, he would meow at our window until Brian or I would let him in. At 2am, it is rather irritating.

When he was only a few years old, we lived in the country in Colorado. We had a cat/dog door. In the evenings he would bring in large moths and let them loose in our family room so he could chase them. He would jump from one couch to the next until he caught it again. He would play until the moth gave up. He also would bring in humming birds and let them loose in our living room. When he was finished "playing", there would be little feathers everywhere. When we realized where they came from it broke our heart that a humming bird just lost his life. He loved the chase.

His most favorite place to sit lately was with us. When we would read scriptures in the morning he would walk around trying to decide who would be most comfortable to sit with. He would almost always choose Bailee.



When we firsts brought him home, he liked to sleep in my hair. That only last for a short time until I convinced him sleep at our feet. Which is where he slept most nights. He loved sleeping on our water bed, day or night. I would often find him sleeping on the kids. There have been a few times I found him in the crib with the baby. He loved the warmth.

Ziggy will be missed.

Note: I know he's a pet. No one is more surprised than I am at how sad we are all taking it. I knew the kids would be sad. But I thought Brian and I would handle it different. I was wrong. I take back all the negative things I have thought about people and their pets. They are a member of the family.

4 comments:

Jay said...

I'm so sorry about your Ziggy. My mom and I would always compliment our cats by saying they were "Celestial Cats." My dad thought we had a few not-so Celestial cats.

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

So sorry about Ziggy. I know he was an important member of you family.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

oh so sorry i know what you mean I was surprised how I felt when we lost our dog three years ago

I have a good life said...

So sorry. I had no idea. It is sad, especially when they have been around for so long. I don't know if I'd ever miss Jazz, though. She drives me crazy. I probably would, though, huh?