Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What would you write?

I came across this article a couple of days ago and it has really caused me to think.
This man was a POW for 5 1/2 years.

"After more than two years as a prisoner of war in Hanoi, Vietnam, Jay C. Hess was permitted to write a short letter home. Following is the content of that letter dated Dec. 13, 1969:

"Above all I seek for eternal life with all of you. These are important: Temple marriage, mission, college. Press on. I had a slight flesh wound and last summer some sickness. All is well now. Set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year."

Here's the link.
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/56422/Lessons-still-linger-for-former-Vietnam-POW.html

Such few words were shared. But what else is more important? Nothing! Temples and education, they both help you in this life and the next. I found it interesting that he added "take pictures twice a year".

This has helped me put in perspective what is really important. I've always known it, I just need to keep reminding myself. Family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The rest is just fluff.

1 comment:

JAG said...

Thank you for posting this! I just randomly came across your blog... I'm from San Antonio, I'm LDS, and this POW is my mom's uncle. Small world. Again, thank you for sharing my great-uncle's story. :)