Monday, January 26, 2009

Spelling Bee

There were 39 3rd-5th graders ready and nervous about the spelling bee on Friday. Last year Karlee was eliminated in the first round. This year she made it to the second round, only 19 kids left. She was devastated that she misspelled the word. Her word was "frankenstein". Once you say the letters out loud you can't change the order or take it back. She told me as soon as she finished she new it was wrong. She said "ie" instead of "ei". It only took five rounds to have only one left, another 5th grader. Karlee was grateful it was a 5th grader that won. They all did a great job. There was one word that I had never heard before. When the student asked for the definition it still didn't help me. The student looked confused then spelled it. She spelled it correct. All of us were impressed.

1 comment:

The Texas Bakers said...

Ah the spelling bee. One year I got out on vacuum (I put in 2 "c"s) and the next year on leopard. But my last year I won (the school, that is) but didn't get very far at state. I think I got out on a word that was a Turkish wine. I had NO idea.