Wednesday, January 4, 2012

great break

We had a very relaxing Christmas break.  I think one of our most relaxed.  We were all quick to sleep in and stay up late.  Bailee worked a lot and has received an amazing first pay check.  Another bonus with her working so much, we didn't have teenagers butting heads.  :)

The three young ones had sleepovers, and hung out with friends...lots.  The boys played video games and played in the streets with neighbors until dark or too cold to play outside any longer.  (Only because they would only wear a light jacket.) 

Brian kept busy all month working on this afghan for his brother and SIL.  I think it turned out great!  Once he finished he was all fidgety.  So I suggested that I had a kit for another afghan if he's interested.  He was and he has begun another.  It's very cool and kinda complicated.  I'll share another time.   
Two days before Christmas Bailee decided to make a scarf for her friend that's a boy.  She was quick.  Her stitches have really improved.  She had it finished before Christmas then decided to give it to him for his 16th birthday in January.  I think he'll like it, he's a Harry Potter freak.


New Years Eve was lots of fun, as usual.  It flew by faster then any other New Years Eve though.  We watched Avatar, which sounded amazing on Brian's new surround sound system he got for Christmas.  Then ate some goodies, while we waited for the donuts to rise, and played Wii.  The kids got a new game.  Wipe out!!!  We love the show and the game is super fun!  As they get knocked down again and again everyone is laughing. 

Although, we ended up playing dodge ball as usual.  It's probably our all time favorite game.  My shoulder was sore for two days.  :0)   
This year was our most successful year making donuts for sure.  (We've been making donuts for 11 years on New Years Eve, minus a few years because of schedules.)  I doubled the batch and they were still all fried by 11:45.  Thanks for your help Bri!!  They were super yummy!!

McKinzie prepared the chocolate for the fountain and I don't think it's ever flowed so beautifully.  I guess she's got the magic touch. 

It's good to have the kids back in school.  Although it makes for a long day when it starts at 5:30.  This morning Carson was struggling so bad I let him go back to sleep on the couch and I took him to school a little late.  I think New Years Eve fun has finally caught up to him. 

I put away part of Christmas on the 2nd.  The tree was a necessity, we needed out space back.  The rest needs to get done but it's not really a priority.  Snowmen can hang for awhile, after all it is Winter.

Monday night we had a great FHE.  One I've been wanting to do for weeks.  We talked about what were grateful for and each made our own list.  After our lists were made we took turns sharing, and made sure not to repeat what was already shared.  I've saved the lists and I'll put it in their school folders.  When they look at it years later they might be surprised what was once important to them.

I'm looking forward to 2012.  I know I will have challenges, I just hope I can learn from them and become a better person because of them.  I've set a few goals, attainable goals.  But I know if I stick with them I'll be a better wife, mother, and friend.  That's what I want more than anything.   

No comments: